RUSSIA and Iran have said they will respond to further American military actions following the air strike in Syria last week.
In a joint statement, the command centre for the two countries and allied groups said “we will respond to any aggression”.
They said: “What America waged in an aggression on Syria is a crossing of red lines. From now on we will respond with force to any aggressor or any breach of red lines from whoever it is and America knows our ability to respond well.”
The statement comes after Iranian President Hassan Rouhani condemned “flagrant US aggression on Syria” following the missile strike on a Syrian air base in response to a suspected chemical attack by the Syrian government on innocent civilians.
The Iranian leader, a key ally of Syria’s dictator Bashar al-Assad, called yesterday for an impartial investigation into the chemical attack that killed at least 70 people.
He warned that the American strikes in response risked escalating extremism in the region, reported Iranian state television.
In a phone call with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, Rouhani told him: “Allegations that Syria launched the chemical attack were just a pretext to disrupt the Syrian peace process”.
The Syrian state news agency SANA said Assad told Rouhani the Syrian people and army were “determined to crush terrorism in every part of Syrian territory” – a reference to the rebels who have been fighting his bloody rule for six years.
He also thanked Rouhani for Iran’s support for “the Syrian nation”.
In a speech on Sunday, Rouhani also criticised US-allied Gulf Arab states for endorsing the missile strike.
He said: “Unfortunately, there are countries in our own region which encourage America’s acts of aggression.” He warned: “Your turn will come too.”
Saudi Arabia hailed the strike as a “courageous decision” by President Donald Trump and a Saudi ally, the United Arab Emirates, declared they also supported the action.
Both countries are part of the US-led coalition fighting ISIS in Syria.